Monday, October 7, 2013

Christina Aguilera's new PSA

I was watching TV this weekend and a new Public Service Announcement came on during the commercials. It instantly reminded me of our reading and discussion on the "We Are the World" videos. Take a look:


Aguilera recently visited Rwanda to raise awareness as global spokesperson for Yum! Brands World hunger Relief effort. Her video has started airing in the states and Yum! has also partnered with KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell -- which serve as donation sites for the project. Posters in these restaurants read "Together, we have the power to save lives and move from hunger to hope." (Sounds a lot like our reading on "the other").

Look at some of the imagery and words that are displayed on screen throughout the PSA. "1 in every 8 people go to bed hungry every night," "there's something you can do about it""join the movement to end world hunger." These words on screen combine with the song (somber at first but a move to uplifting) and imagery (children in slums and then a transition to Christina helping feed them) to culminate in a celebratory shot of happy children and a white celebrity right in the middle -- she is clearly the difference maker. Is that problematic?

Guiltily, I have to say that the PSA gets to me. I feel almost uplifted by even watching it -- I have not donated to the project but in a way I feel that (as we discussed in class) Americans, like me, feel a sense of helping "the other" by acknowledging them as one of us. It is uplifting but it certainly does not address some of the structural, cultural, political or technological issues that are truly hindering these groups from securing enough food on a day-to-day basis. Instead of donating food, shouldn't we be trying to identify, hi-light and remedy the underlying causes of these serious issues?

On the flip side -- this ad did catch my attention which, in today's media environment, is hard to do. While I think that the PSA overlooks many important issues it is important to ask: what kind of ad is likely to get you to donate -- one like this that makes the viewer feel warm and fuzzy, or a more graphic, less visually appealing, but information-packed advertisement about some of the serious issues that have caused these famines? I don't know.

What do you guys think? Is this PSA exactly like the "We are the World" videos? How is it maybe a change from these videos? Does it matter that these PSA's are only 30 seconds versus a whole 3-5 minute music video? What are your thoughts on the food restaurants partaking in this -- is this just a campaign to get their brand out there or does this feel more like an authentic effort to the cause? I would love to hear your responses!

3 comments:

  1. I had not seen this PSA yet, and I agree, it definitely taps into the American notion that just by simple acknowledging the "other," the "poor, less fortunate souls" out there, that somehow, we are a better people for it. I think there are both similarities and differences between this PSA and the "We are the World" production. While both pieces incite that "man, Im a good person for being affected by this," feeling, the former is a more grassroots (if you can call it that) appeal to the senses, it shows Christina actively participating in the "fight against world hunger."Whereas the latter shows a room full of celebrities singing in a sound booth. As I watched both videos, the thought you provoked about time playing a role answered itself in my head....The hunger focused relief for Rwanda was short and sweet, leaving you wanting to know more about the program. But the Haitian disaster relief video left me thinking one thing, "I get it, when is this video over?" So yes, I think it matters. Our ridiculously short attention spans will only provide us so much compassion, so much interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most striking differences to me is that all of the children in the beginning of the clip are solemn, staring into the camera, and not eating. Immediately when Aquilera and the World Hunger Relief car comes in action starts to happen. They are making local food and Aquilera is helping. She is the only person handing out food, not the children's own parents. It sets up a scene where the only way for these kids to get a magic red cup of food for the day is at the hands of Aquilera; not through growing food locally, but through the power of the white celebrity with an official looking truck.

    Even if we assume that the project does address the underlying factors in surrounding production of food, this clip brings up the issue of what kind of fundraising material generates donations from Americans. These type of videos do make many Americans want to give to a cause. Children (or animals) in distress strike a chord and make Americans want to find a way to help. I will admit along with Josie that it made me want to go to Taco Bell and donate. Is it okay that this project (which for these purposes lets assume utilizes the 'ideal' methods for solving hunger issues) purposefully others the children in the clip if this is what pulls in an extra $10,000? What about for an extra million? Is this the same as musicians selling out to get their records produced and distributed outside of the Czech Republic?

    In my ideal world, I would want fundraisers to have the ability to message with integrity and to not have any othering aspects to their communication. Some issues are just not as attractive to donors. I don't think this clip would raise as much money if it were a video depicting Aguilera in a meeting in with local farmers discussing sustainable agriculture techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This PSA is like the “We are the World” video in that a celebrity is used and there is music involved, however at least it is more like the second “We are the World” video in that the “other” is depicted and the problem was explained. The fact that the PSAs are short enough to keep your attention to the end is important in getting people involved in the issue. To use the social media web site Reddit as an example, the length of a post is directly proportional to whether or not people vote for that post to rise in importance. It seems rational that these PSAs would work the same way. In terms of the restaurants taking part in this campaign, it is a way of getting their brand out there and it is also a way to show their stakeholders that they are being socially responsible. I cannot speak to whether or not these restaurants are being sincere.

    ReplyDelete