Our class discussion regarding
othering came into mind as I’ve been watching the coverage of the Typhoon
Haiyan in the Philippines. I first read
about the storm developing a few days ago.
On bbc.com it was the headline, on cnn.com it was a small link. I read
the article on cnn.com and wished that I would have saved it because it appears
they might have updated or changed the article.
The story that is on the website now is not the one that I read. The article was interesting for a few
reasons. First, it discussed the
intensity of the storm and compared it to Hurricane Camille that hit the United
States in 1969 with similar strength as Haiyan.
It then went on to describe the type of damage that would be expected of
a typhoon of this magnitude. What was
said next is what I found most interesting.
Instead of talking about the majority of the population of the
Philippines that was in great danger from this typhoon, the article focused on
a small resort town named Boracay, popular among vacationing Europeans and
westerners that would be hit by the storm.
The article discussed flight delays that would be affecting these
travellers and how some people actually had to cut their vacation a few days
short (god forbid).
Though no longer a developing
country, it is newly industrialized.
Some areas, particularly surrounding Manila, are highly developed but
being an island nation comprised of over 7,000 islands, there are many areas
that are underdeveloped. These areas do
not have the infrastructure to sustain a storm of this nature. Not to mention, the country is continuously
rebuilding from natural disasters. An
earthquake killed 200 people three weeks ago.
A typhoon hit in 2012 that killed 1,000 people. The article that I read failed to mention how
the storm would affect the millions of people that live outside of major cities
or beach resorts popular to western tourists.
It will be interesting to see how
the rest of the story will develop and how the media covers the
casualties. In reading some articles
this morning, it does seem that more emphasis has been put on the population as
a whole. The reporter on CNN keeps
repeating that it’s the perhaps the strongest storm EVER (extra emphasis on the
word ever, I actually had to turn it off because she was so annoying). Though the article that is now on cnn.com
does offer more information pertaining to the disaster and how it will affect
those that live in more underdeveloped areas, it still keeps a little blurb at
the bottom about the resort village of Boracay.
It's also interesting what a couple of hours will do, because now on CNN, the breaking news states "Catastrophic damage” on the home page. The subtitle is “Typhoon ravages Philippines city” with a photo of men in distress carrying a body on a board. What is most interesting is the emphasis on dead children, versus adults. It almost feels like the media is sensationalizing the storm, touching on the hearts of the readers by mentioning children being ripped out of the arms of their parents.
ReplyDelete