Sunday, November 10, 2013

“There are a whole lot of ways to be a woman”

I recently read an article published in Elle magazine that profiled the WNBA player Brittney Griner. The article, entitled, “How Slam-Dunking, Gender-Bending WNBA Rookie Brittney Griner Is Changing the World of Sports,” highlighted the difficulties faced by Griner and showed the progression of how the WNBA has framed itself.

The WNBA in its early days tried to promote the league in terms of its sex appeal, or as one campaign is described, “girl power meets Playboy.” Since then the focus has shifted greatly.

The Elle article stated that “the league’s promotion has been influenced by current data indicating that the competition itself is the top draw for fans, as well as by a small but growing body of academic research suggesting that sex does not sell, at least insofar as athletes are used as endorsers to try to sell tickets to sports events as opposed to hawk products from watches to razors. What has been found to work, says University of Massachusetts Amherst sport management professor Janet Fink, is highlighting a player’s ‘expertise.’”

The article goes on to say the sexualizing athletes may actually lead people to think that they are less skilled than they actually are because the focus is not on their abilities, but rather their appearance.


This YouTube video that shows highlights of Griner on the basketball court with the song “I enjoy being a girl” shows the juxtaposition of Griner’s masculine play and the lyrics about what it means to be a girl such as: “I am proud that my silhouette is curvy. That I walk with a sweet and girlish gait” further highlight the difficulty for people in society to identify her as male or female.

The author of the article herself even had difficulty with identifying Griner as a female. As she noted, “…some combination of sensory stimuli screamed boy to me. So much so that I did a cognitive double take each time I heard someone refer to her as she: Yes, yes, Brittney is a girl, I’d think. She is a girl.

Griner is tall and slender, has large hands and a low voice, and exhibits other traits that are predominately identified with masculinity. If she is selected for the U.S. team in the 2016 Olympics she may be required to do gender testing in order to compete for these reasons.


Should this be required of her? To put this in perspective, would a man ever have to subject himself to gender testing in order to compete?


Abraham, Laurie. "HOW SLAM-DUNKING, GENDER-BENDING WNBA ROOKIE BRITTNEY GRINER IS CHANGING THE WORLD OF SPORTS: Griner is a slam-dunking, girl-loving phenom who proves there are a whole lot of ways to be a woman." Elle. 4 Nov. 2013. Web. 11 Nov. 2013.

2 comments:

  1. Obviously, it's ridiculous that even the possibility of Griner being tested in order to compete exists. Then again, it's not as if the Olympic committee is renowned for their logic.

    Regardless, Griner's always intrigued me from a basketball standpoint. Prior to the 2013 NBA draft, Marc Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, said that he'd consider selecting Griner with a second round pick, or at least giving her a roster spot on the Mavericks' summer league team. For some reason, this sparked huge controversy. THERE'S NO WAY SHE COULD PLAY IN THE NBA, CUBAN'S JUST DOING THIS FOR ATTENTION and so forth.

    What was most baffling about this outrage was the lack of quantitative evidence to support the claim that she couldn't play. That's not to say that she could succeed in the NBA, just that there's absolutely no way of saying, with any amount of certainty, that she'd thrive or flounder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I thought Cuban was just doing it for the attention, as he seems to love attention. But, yes, not all male players who are drafted can play at that level, and she may be able to perform just as well as some of them, or better. People like to throw around this argument in other sports as well, for instance, can Serena Williams play against men? I don't know, but I would probably watch a match between her a top male player just to see what happened.

    ReplyDelete